PARKS & REC: In Numbers | Environment
Des Moines Park and Recreation has released visitor numbers for 2012 with its 76 parks seeing facilities well used.
“Last year was dynamic and challenging, but our Park and Recreation staff continues to be proud to serve the community in such a large and varied capacity,” said Benjamin R. Page, Director, Park and Recreation. “During these challenging economic times, these numbers show that more and more people value and utilize the offerings we provide. I am proud to lead a department that plays such a pivotal role in improving our citizens’ health and wellness, as well as the quality of the environment.”
- 144,810 attendees at our 5 pools and aquatic centers
- 1,811 individuals learned to swim, 728 of which were funded by a scholarship from the Friends of Des Moines Parks
- 1,385 shelters were rented
- 3 million trail trips were taken
- 321 trees were planted at 16 different sites across the city including parks, sport complexes, cemeteries, golf courses, and trails
- 350,000 annual plants were transplanted to be used downtown, in neighborhoods and parks
- 40,000 participated in recreational programs
- 13,627 hours of service were donated by over 2300 volunteers, valued at over $296,932.
- Over 15,000 inbound calls were handled by our call center – specifically 8,397 relating to shelter rentals.
- Over 160,000 people used the two community centers at 4 Mile and Pioneer Columbus